Friday, December 2, 2011

Art

The other night the river got going again. It picks up boulders and smashes them into one another. It is a particular clunking thud sound that I could not comprehend when I was evacuating here but it is a sound to which I am now keyed.

It was 1:30 am and it woke me up. After a bit I turned the light on and I thought about a river art event on the anniversary of the flood, a piece that would last for the duration of the flood, maybe 4 or 5 hours. It seems important to me that the anniversary event incorporate the sound of the flood, the sound of the thudding, somehow recalling and transforming the sound of the raging, racing wall of water.

Art can be a decoration, an add on after basic material necessities are secured. And that banal realm has a definite significant subtle value in our lives but art can also be the source which puts our spirits, our emotions, our souls aright again, if we will allow ourselves the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment