Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mysteries


Rosie and I walked up to check on the tile this morning. The tile is a cement holding tank set into the ground, at the bottom of the tank is a pipe that feeds water to my house. It’s a gravity fed spring water system. We were making our way down and around through the woods when I tripped over the top of a pipe sticking up out of the ground.

I knew there were old wells in that section of woods, I could not resist pulling on the pipe.  Could I be opening a covered up well? Would I lift up the pipe and be standing next to a deep Alice in Wonderland type hole? Would the pipe even budge?

It budged, it was a shovel. I didn’t expect that. It was a shovel without a handle in the middle of the woods. The shovel was in the ground the way you would stick a shovel in the ground during a job or at the end of the digging or filling in part of the job. I have left my garden shovels tucked into the ground like that many times. To the best of my knowledge I retrieve my shovels long before the handle has completely disappeared and the woods have reclaimed where I was working.


We can carbon date but we can’t make objects talk and spill their beans. We try. We try to understand everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment